Sunday, June 8, 2008

Saturday at bear camp



Hi everyone!!!
Wow the sun was out today and it was a glorious50 but better wear the sunblock the sun is intense here. Right now it's 1110pm and its still sunny out. The plants again have grown a good 4 inches over yesterday. The birds are still chirping and the bears are still eating. I can hear the ocean pounding away from where I am sitting.

The day was Hard but great. We rebuilt the stairs on a 30 foots hill leading into bear camp. Having to dig it out and then haul sand and stones from the beach. YES I spent half my day at the beach. No suits here though. Bears were out today. Ursula was right with us and her 2.5 year old cub and another bear was down the beach with 2 cubs. I got some great photos not to close since I am working you know. I again was left alone in bear camp to fend for myself. I decided to just write in my journal.

The stairs are done. 5 hours only. I alos chopped alot of wood today. Tomorrow I will be spending on the beach. No suits again but collecting drift wood for the fire. Mainly it is cedar that washes up in katmai national park. I love that smell. So it shall be a challenging day.

We are without a cook at camp right now so i am baking and made more cookies from scratch today.

The BEARS were just wonderful. How many people can say they are working on a beach. With the grizzly bears all day. We then hung out by the mail box in the picture called the point for about 2 hours and enjoyed the sun and laughter.
I never thought at this point in my life I would ever be given the chance to do this or that it was ever out there. How can once return to normal life when for 30 day's this is NORMAL!!

So for everyone out there yes I am working my ass off. But when I feel lonely I look at the mountians, ocean, bears on the beach, the glacier behind the camp and I am reminded of the JOURNEY.
Well off to bed ..........It is my job to shut camp down for the nite and check for bears and close down the galley.
Till the next post. Or I end up on CNN "man eaten on beach by bear for lunch"

1 comment:

Karen said...

chris,
You are doing something that most people dream about, keep smiling and laughing for that is what makes you the person you are. Have a great time.
Miss Ya
Karen